All recreational vehicle (RV) owners need generators. This article is for all RV owners who don’t have RV generators as well as those who would like to replace their current generators with the best RV generators on sale today.
RVs are mobile homes fitted with all the electronics and appliances you would expect to find in a typical home. The importance of having reliable power can’t therefore be overlooked. You need a good RV generator to get the best out of your RV. This leads us to a critical question; what’s a good RV generator? There are very many considerations you have to make to be able to identify the best generators for RVs.
First and foremost, it’s worth noting that there are different RV generators based on factors like size, noise level, power output, runtime, price, weight, name it! Some factors may be more important than others. However, you must consider every possible factor for you to be able to identify the best RV generators for sale. Before we list the best RV generators, here’s what you must know about RV generators and generators at large;
Why do you need a generator?
Almost everything that runs on electricity today is a necessity which makes generators a necessity as well. In case of a power blackout, you still need electricity to run your fridge, charge or power your computer, laptop, Smartphone, TV, Radio, air conditioner, boiler name it! Generators aren’t just important when you have an RV. You should have an emergency generator at home.
Power blackouts are inevitable. They may be rare, but they are bound to affect you during bad weather, accidents or natural calamities. If you reside in an area affected by severe weather i.e. hurricanes, tornados, floods are common, a generator is a must-have for you. Bad weather is a common cause of power blackouts globally. Accidents like fire as well as natural calamities such as earthquakes also cause power blackouts. This makes generators crucial for emergencies.
You also need a generator when you don’t have direct access to the power grid. When camping or engaging in other recreational activities, you may lack access to the power grid. A generator will be handy in such instances. In a nutshell, life won’t stop because you don’t have power. If you don’t want to suffer great inconveniences as well as suffer huge losses because of a blackout, you need to invest in a generator.
It’s hard to live without a refrigerator, AC unit, Smartphone, and computers. All these electronics/appliances need to be constantly powered/charged. Getting an RV generator is a great step since the best RV generators for sale today are multipurpose. Once you buy a good RV generator, you don’t need to buy another generator for different powering applications.
Since you already know why you need a generator, let’s shift our focus to choosing generators.
What makes one generator better than another? Choosing a generator
One generator may be better than another based on many factors;
When it comes to choosing all kinds of generators, let alone RV generators, size is a critical factor. Size is more important when choosing the best RV generators for sale because RVs have less space compared to regular homes. In fact, RVs already have inbuilt generator compartments so, you must choose your generator based on the size of your RVs generator compartment. Although there are RVs which have ample space for generators, most don’t. For this reason, you are immediately restricted to choosing smaller generators over larger ones. One of the main disadvantages of this is; smaller generators tend to produce less power. However, it’s possible to find small portable generators that are powerful enough to run all electronics and appliances in RVs. In summary, smaller generators are better for RVs because they don’t take up too much space. Smaller generators are also preferable in many other applications.
Powerful generators are always preferable regardless of the application. However, there’s no need to buy a generator which you won’t utilize to the fullest. For this reason, you shouldn’t assume how much power you need. Instead, you need to calculate your actual power needs. Most RVs have power requirements so it shouldn’t be a problem estimating how powerful your generator should be. In some instances, you will need to calculate your power needs. We’ll discuss that later. The most critical thing to note is; the best RV generator for you should be powerful enough. Calculating your generator power needs is important because it ensures you don’t spend more money than you need to. Please note: Powerful generators are more expensive.
3. Fuel efficiency/capacity
You shouldn’t spend more than they have to on generator fuel so, a fuel efficient generator is always preferable. Fuel efficiency is more important when you want to identify the best RV generators for sale since, RV generators tend to run longer than generators used for other applications. RV generators also have a higher load to deal with. You should, therefore, expect to spend more on generator fuel when you have an RV. The expenditure must, however, be reasonable. Fuel capacity and runtime are also critical when choosing an RV generator or any other generator because you don’t want to be fueling your generator more than once or twice a day.
4. Noise level
Quiet generators are way better than noisy ones especially in regards to RV and camping applications. Noisy generators may not be a problem in emergency generator applications i.e. when you are buying a generator for emergency power at home. However, for RV generators, noise level is a crucial factor to consider for obvious reasons. RVs usually have multiple electronics and appliances running at the same time. Adding more noise definitely compromises the whole experience. It’s impossible to relax or sleep in an RV connected to a traditional generator because of the noise produced by such generators. This reason alone makes inverter generators more preferable over traditional generators in RV and camping application among many other applications. Quiet RV generators will always stand out over noisy ones. Another great resource to learn about quiet generators.
5. Versatility and portability
Versatile and portable generators are generally preferable because they can be carried around easily and used for multiple applications. You should be able to use your RV generator for other applications like camping or powering your home when there is a blackout. In fact, you should never have to buy more than one generator for different purposes. Your RV generator should have multipurpose ports allowing you to connect your generator to any appliances/electronics. You should also be able to connect your RV generator to your home’s circuitry. Last but not least, your RV generator should have wheels and/or carrying handles that make it easy to move the generator around.
The factors discussed above are just a few of the many factors you need to consider when you want to identify which RV generators for sale are better. The information also gives you a general idea of why one generator may be better than another. Let’s dive deeper and discuss what you need to do to find the best RV generator for you.
Finding the best RV generators
1. How much generator power do you need?
The first consideration you should make when you want to find the best RV generators for sale is; your power needs. The best generator for you has to be able to handle your power needs. For RV applications, you must calculate the power consumption of all appliances and electronics in the RV. Although air conditioners consume the most power in RVs, you need to determine the power consumption of other appliances as well i.e. TVs, radios, DVD player, laptops/computers, cookers, fridge, coffee maker, microwave, lights, fan, heater, etc. It’s also worth noting that you need more power to start most appliances, so you need to consider the starting as well as running watts of all appliances/electronics.
When determining how much power you need to run your RV air conditioner, focus on the size of your air conditioner first. Your air conditioner’s size will most likely be measured in BTU which is measure of energy. Typical RV generators are between 13,500 – 15,000 btu in size requiring 2800 – 3500 starting watts and 1500 – 1800 running watts. Most air conditioning units have their starting and running watts clearly labeled so it shouldn’t be a problem determining how much power you need to run your RV air conditioner. You can calculate wattage yourself by multiplying the volts and amps.
Once you determine this, it’s time to move on to other appliances. A 3000-watt generator can be able to power an RV generator. However, your air conditioner needs to run alongside other appliances and electronics. You can start by listing all the appliances and electronics you have in your RV kitchen. Write down the starting and running watts of all these items. A typical RV kitchen has a fridge, cooker, coffee maker and microwave. If you have other appliances i.e. toaster, electric grill, etc., add them up. You can then proceed to add up all the power needs of other electronics in your RV living areas. Examples of such electronics include; TVs, DVD player, radio, satellite receiver, laptops/computers. Don’t forget to include any other electronics such as heaters, hair dryers, iron boxes, and lights, etc. to get the more accurate picture of your power needs.
Proceed by adding up all the starting watts and running watts separately. The generator you consider buying should be able to handle the total wattage. You should, however, be aware of the fact that most of these RV appliances and electronics tend to be powered at different times. For this reason, your actual power needs will be lower at any given time. For example, you don’t need to turn on your RVs air conditioning all the time while watching TV and cooking. For this reason, you should focus more on the electronics/appliances that require constant power during specific times. For instance, you need to power your RV fridge, lights, and TV among other entertainment electronics at night. In summary, you should be able to power everything you need to power at once. With that in mind, you shouldn’t have a problem estimating your total power needs at any given time. You should also be able to select an RV generator that is capable of catering for all your power needs in different scenarios.
2. What generator noise level is acceptable to you?
As mentioned above, generator noise level is a crucial factor to consider when selecting any kind of generator. Noise level is more important when selecting a generator for RV applications since a noisy generator will disturb you and your neighbors. RVs are mobile vehicles so you never know where you might find yourself. To avoid being a nuisance to your neighbors as well as compromising the quality of your RV experience, a silent generator is highly recommendable. In fact, the best RV generators for sale today are silent operating at noise levels averaging 50 to 65 dBA. Most tend to be quieter than air conditioners. Ideally, you shouldn’t be able to hear your RV generator while sleeping.
3. Ideal weight?
The best RV generators for sale today have reasonable weight i.e. one person should be able to carry the generator with ease. RV generators should be lightweight so that they can be used for multiple applications. A heavy RV generator is also bound to create imbalances in your RV exposing you to unnecessary risks when you are on the road. Remember to consider the weight of your preferred generator. It’s also necessary to consider the fact that you may need more than one generator if you prefer small generators.
4. Parallel operation
It’s worth noting that most silent generators produce less power so you might need more than one generator if you are planning on buying the quietest RV generators on sale. In such a case, the RV generator you choose must have parallel operation capabilities. Parallel operation is an important feature because it allows you to generate more power without increasing noise levels.
5. Safety features
RV generators pose more safety risks compared to other generators because of their proximity to users. The fact that they are mounted on moving vehicles introduces more risks. For instance, RV generators have higher carbon monoxide poisoning risks. To avoid these risks, they must be installed correctly. The generators also need to be placed in their compartments while on the go and not in the RV. You should also buy an RV generator with safety features like; a spark arrestor, carbon monoxide detector, low-oil/fuel warning. The generator should also be CARB/EPA compliant.
6. Transfer switch
You should also consider finding an RV generator with transfer switch capabilities. It’s never advisable to connect a generator directly to the circuitry of your RV. The best RV generators on sale can be connected to a transfer switch. Besides allowing secure transfer of electricity from your generator to your RV circuitry, a transfer switch will also make it easier to use your generator. For instance, you will be able to power your generator on/off easily. A transfer switch will also boost your generator’s portability because you will also be able to connect the generator to your home’s circuitry.
7. Best RV generator reviews
You also need to consider checking RV generator reviews to be able to find the best RV generators for you. RV generator reviews are important for discovering what it means to own certain RV generators. Reviews are great sources of first-hand information on anything. You can find RV generator reviews online by conducting a simple search on Google. We will also review the best RV generators for sale below.
There’s more to finding the best RV generators for sale today. The above information, however, highlights the most crucial information to consider.
Choosing generator fuel: Which generator fuel is the best for your RV generator?
Different generators use different types of fuel ranging from regular gas to propane and diesel fuels. Different types of generator fuel have different pros and cons. Most portable generators use regular gas (the gas used in vehicles). There are however a few that use propane. There are also portable solar power RV generators on sale today. The best generator fuel for you will depend on factors such as the type of RV you have as well as the generator applications you have in mind.
For instance, diesel RV generators are for RVs that use diesel. They are also more ideal for individuals with higher power needs. Diesel also burns slower and is cheaper so a diesel powered RV generator may be ideal for you if cost and fuel efficiency are huge concerns. However, diesel generators cause more pollution, so you want to weigh all the pros and cons.
Propane RV generators are more environmental friendly than RV generators which run on diesel and gasoline. However, propane is highly flammable posing serious fire risks. Considering RVs have all kinds of appliances in them and you are bound to cook in your RV, it’s important to minimize fire risks as much as possible. Propane RV generators are also limited by the size of propane tanks. Gasoline RV generators are generally preferable, however; you are free to choose the best RV generator fuel for you.
Gasoline and propane are the most common generator fuels for RV owners. Both have their pros and cons so, you should make a decision after conducting a thorough comparison.
Best RV generator safety tips: Generator safety risks and how to reduce/eliminate them
RV generators have safety risks that are similar to those posed by typical portable generators. The generators, however, introduce more risks because they are used while you are on the go. RV generators run concurrently with RV engines in most cases increasing risks of carbon monoxide poisoning. To reduce exposure to harmful gasses, make sure you turn off your RV when you stop.
Also, never place your RV generator inside your RV. Although most portable generators are silent, they still produce harmful emissions like carbon monoxide which can cause death. To avoid CO (carbon monoxide poisoning), buy a carbon monoxide detector because the gas is odorless and invisible but extremely dangerous. You should also be aware of CO poisoning warning signs such as; fatigue, headache, dizziness, and shortness of breath. If you suffer from any of these signs/symptoms while you are in your RV, get fresh air immediately and plan to get medical attention.
To reduce fire risks, consider buying the best RV generator for sale with features like; a spark arrestor, automatic low-oil warning, etc. Such generators have been specially designed to reduce fire risks common with traditional generators.
You should also handle generator fuel with care. For instance, you should store the fuel in clearly labeled and sealed containers to avoid leaks. The fuel should also be stored in a cool and dry place (away from the RV engine). Also, keep the fuel away from fires and places where children can reach easily.
All generators including RV generators should be placed on dry surfaces. Your RV generator compartment should be waterproof otherwise, you stand to be electrocuted. If you decide to place your RV generator on the ground or use it for other applications, make sure you place the generator on a dry platform away from rain. Most RV generators are weatherproofed. However, it’s better to take all the necessary precautions to avoid electrocution.
You should also use an RV generator that is capable of handling your RV power needs to avoid overloading your generator. It’s also important to use a transfer switch when connecting your generator to the RV circuitry to avoid damaging your RV generator as well as your RV electronics and appliances. It is also important to make sure you read your user’s manual to get important generator information i.e. recommended cords/cable specifications. Your user’s manual also highlights important information i.e. your generator’s capabilities. Such information is important for preventing generator overload.
Best RV generators
1. The Honda EU3000iS
The Honda EU3000iS stands out from most RV generators for sale today because of numerous factors among them being the amazing noise level, multipurpose capability, high-quality power and amazing runtime. Although this generator is perfect for RV applications, you can use it for many other applications. The Honda EU3000iS is a great generator for household power applications during power blackouts. The generator produces high-quality power which can power all sensitive electronics safely. The generator is also fuel efficient i.e. can run for 20 hours on a full tank of gas (3.4 gallons). What’s more interesting is the generator is portable, powerful and safe. The generator is also sizeable (can fit in typical RV compartments perfectly).
- Engine: The Honda EU3000iS has a 6.5HP single cylinder air cooled engine with a 196 cc displacement. Rating; 2,800 running watts, 3,000 starting watts.
- Starting system: Electric, recoil.
- Output/ports: The Honda EU3000iS has an AC output 120V, DC Output 12V and Receptacles 20A, 125V duplex.
- Noise level: 49 dBA @ 25% load. 58 dBA rated load.
- Safety and environmental features: The Honda EU3000iS has an overhead valve engine featuring inverter technology which allows the production of consistent, clean and surge-free power. The generator also has an automatic low-oil alert mechanism. The generator is also EPA and CARB compliant. The Honda EU3000iS also has an Eco-throttle mechanism that boosts fuel efficiency.
- Weight and dimensions: Has a dry weight of 134 lbs and measures 25.8 by 18.9 by 22.4.
Best RV generator reviews: What are customers saying about the Honda EU3000iS?
- Great size: The Honda EU3000iS’s size is highly praised in reviews. According to many people who have bought the generator, it fits perfectly in typical RV compartments. When you buy the Honda EU3000iS for your RV, you don’t have to make any expensive modifications. The generator is smaller compared to other RV generators. In fact, you can fit two Honda EU3000iS perfectly in a typical RV generator compartment.
- Super quiet: The Honda EU3000iS also stands out for its amazing noise level. At 49 dBA at normal load, this RV generator is less noisy than typical air conditioning systems. Although this noise level is at 25% load, the Honda EU3000iS is still super quiet at rated load i.e. 58 dBA.
- Parallel operation: The Honda EU3000iS also comes highly recommended because of its parallel operation capabilities. If 3000 watts isn’t enough, you can buy another Honda EU3000iS to double the capacity. According to many RV generator reviews online, 6000 watts is more than enough power for typical RV applications.
- Amazing runtime: Many Honda EU3000iS owners also love the fact that the generator can run for 20 hours nonstop on a full tank of gas (3.4 gallons). You don’t need to fuel the Honda EU3000iS every day. The generator is fuel efficient and has a sizable fuel tank.
- Safe: Many people also love the safety features of the Honda EU3000iS. The generator has a low-oil alert system that shuts down the generator automatically when oil levels drop below safe levels. The Honda EU3000iS also features inverter technology which results in the production of high-quality power which is safe for powering Smartphones, laptops among other sensitive electronics. The generator is also EPA and CARB compliant meaning you don’t have to worry about air pollution.
- Multipurpose: Many Honda EU3000iS owners also love the fact that you can use the generator for other applications. When you’re not powering your RV, the Honda EU3000iS can act as your backup power generator at home. The generator is sizable and easy to move from one place to another. The Honda EU3000iS is lightweight and features carrying handles.
The Honda EU3000iS is highly rated according to most RV generators for sale reviews. It is, however, worth noting that the generator has some shortfalls according to some people. For instance, some Honda EU3000iS don’t think the generator is powerful enough. Some people also think the generator is a bit costly.
Final thoughts best RV generators – Honda EU3000iS
The Honda EU3000iS has everything you can wish for in the best RV generators for sale today from the impressive runtime and noise levels to the amazing safety features and multipurpose capabilities. The generator is also ideal for powering all basic RV appliances and electronics. Although 3000 watts may not be enough to power all RV appliances and electronics at once, you can always buy another generator for heavy duty applications.
2. Briggs & Stratton 30651, Briggs & Stratton 30545 & Parallel Connector kit
If you’re looking for unmatched value for money, look no further. This RV generator bundle comes with two inverter generators as well as a parallel connector kit. If you need more power for your RV but still want to enjoy the benefits of silent inverter generators, this bundle comes highly recommended. The Briggs & Stratton 30651 & 30545 generators are quiet, fuel efficient, versatile and safe. They are also portable which makes them perfect for RV applications among other generator application you can think off. This bundle also comes at a great price. Below are the main features and specifications of each generator to help you understand why the Briggs & Stratton 30651 & 30545 generators are the best RV generators on sale today.
Main features and specification of the Briggs & Stratton 30651
- Engine: The Briggs & Stratton 30651 has a 111 cc-OHV engine that produces 2200 starting watts & 1700 running watts.
- Safety: 3% harmonic distortion. The Briggs & Stratton 30651 generates power that is safe for powering the most sensitive electronics i.e. game systems, laptops, and Smartphones.
- Runtime: The Briggs & Stratton 30651 can run for 8 hours nonstop on 1 gallon of fuel at 25% load.
- Parallel connection: The Briggs & Stratton 30651 comes with a parallel connector port.
- Noise level: The Briggs & Stratton 30651 produces 59 dBA
- Weight and dimensions: The Briggs & Stratton 30651 weighs 55 pounds and measures 19.9 by 14.4 by 22.4 inches.
- Warranty: 2-year
Briggs & Stratton 30651 reviews
- Clean, safe & efficient power: The Briggs & Stratton 30651 comes with one of the main benefits of inverter generators. Many people who have bought the 30651 love it for its high-quality power which is safe for sensitive electronics.
- Parallel capability: Briggs & Stratton 30651 owners also love the fact that they can connect the generator to another unit to boost power.
- Super quiet: The Briggs & Stratton 30651 produces 59 dBA at normal load when connected 7 meters away. This generator is super quiet is perfect for RV applications according to many RV generator reviews. You can place the generator right next to you and not know if it is on or off.
- Highly versatile: People also love the fact that the generator can be connected to all electronics and appliances you can think off. The Briggs & Stratton 30651 has a convenient control panel that offers unmatched flexibility. The generator also comes with portable features i.e. a unique H-handle design that you to move the generator easily from one place to another.
The Briggs & Stratton 30651 comes highly rated. However, some people feel the generator doesn’t produce enough power on its own for RV applications. This is precisely why the Briggs & Stratton 30651 comes highly recommended alongside the Briggs & Stratton 30545.
Main features and specification of the Briggs & Stratton 30545
- Engine: 3000 starting watts, 2600 running watts.
- Noise level: 59 dBA @ 25% load.
- Runtime: 10 hours on 1.5 gallons (full tank).
- Ports: Has four household outlets, 1 12V, 30 amp locking outlet with; RV adaptor, DC charging outlet & USB port.
- Display: LCD StatStation Display.
- Parallel connection: Comes with a parallel connection port.
- Weight and Dimensions: Weighs 60 pounds and measures 23.6 by 15.3 by 29.5.
- Warranty: 2-year limited warranty.
Briggs & Stratton 30545 reviews
- Unmatched Portability: The Briggs & Stratton 30545 has many positive reviews on portability. Although this generator is perfect for RV application because it produces adequate power, the generator is also perfect for other applications as well because of its portability features i.e. unique twin handles as well as a luggage-style handle that makes it incredibly easy to move the generator around.
- High-tech: Many people also love the generator’s high-tech features. According to numerous RV generator reviews, the Briggs & Stratton 30545 is among the most high-tech RV generators for sale today. The generator has a computer-controlled engine which adjusts automatically. The generator also has an LCD display that makes it easy to monitor power consumption, unit hours as well as maintenance reminders i.e. oil, spark plug and air filter changes.
- Super quiet: The Briggs & Stratton 30545 comes highly recommended as one of the quietest generators on sale today. The generator has a noise level of 59 dBA. You can hardly hear the generator when you are in or out of your RV.
- Amazing runtime: People also love the fact that you get 10 hours of continuous operation on a 1.5-gallon tank of gas.
- Versatile: Like the 30651, the Briggs & Stratton 30545 is also highly versatile. The generator has numerous ports which make it possible to power any electronic and appliance thinkable.
- Safe: The Briggs & Stratton 30545 also produces safe, high-quality power ideal for powering sensitive electronics.
Some people find the generator a bit loud when operating at more than 25% load.
Final thoughts for best RV Generators – Briggs & Stratton
The Briggs & Stratton 30651 and 30545 are both amazing portable generators. Even though they have some cons, the generators are perfect for RV applications when connected together. The Briggs & Stratton 30651 and 30545 bundle comes highly recommended to individuals who want more power. The generator bundle comes with a connector kit making it possible to connect the two generators together safely. The bundle is also great for silent and safe RV applications among other powering applications you can think off. Both generators are energy efficient and durable. The bundle is also affordable compared to buying different generator units separately.
3. The Yamaha EF 2000iS
If you’re looking for the quietest, most portable and affordable RV generators on sale today, you should really consider buying the Yamaha EF 2000iS. This generator stands out as an RV generator because of its amazing noise levels (51.5 dBA at 25% load). The generator is also reasonably priced under $1000. The Yamaha EF 2000Is also has unmatched portability features i.e. weighs just 44 pounds and measures 19.3 by 11.0 by 17.9 inches only. This size and weight are perfect for RV applications among other powering applications. The Yamaha EF 2000iS is also versatile. For more in-depth information on why the Yamaha EF 2000iS stands out i.e. the main features/specifications, pros, etc.
4. The WEN 56200i
The WEN 56200i is another great RV generator to consider buying. This generator comes highly recommended for RV applications because it is very quiet (51 dBA at 25% load), portable and affordable. The generator also produces safe, high-quality power. The generator can also be connected to another identical unit to boost power if you need more than 1600 watts. The generator is also fuel efficient and comes with a great warranty (2-year warranty). The WEN 56200i also comes highly rated in many RV generator reviews. Click HERE to find out more.
Hope you enjoyed this article on best RV generators!