Best Portable Generator for the Money
Portable generators are perfect when portability is a key concern. Most generators out there are stationary generators / standby generators, which simply means you can’t move them around. Portability alone introduces many restrictions if you need electricity to power tools, equipment or whatever your power needs are away from a building.
Portable generators give you the opportunity to power vital devices/tools/equipment within your home as well as many other places when you don’t have access to the power grid i.e. when you are in a remote place or during a power blackout. Typical portable generators are capable of powering small appliances, TVs, power tools as well as lighting in camping among other outdoor applications. This makes them perfect for typical power emergencies as well as outdoor applications.
Medium to large portable generators work well in job applications with more demanding power needs i.e. construction sites that require electricity for powering tools such as electric saws, drills, air compressors, etc. Medium to large portable generators may have features that compromise portability i.e. they tend to be larger in size. However, the generators have features such as wheels and handles that compensate for these shortfalls.
Typical portable generators are powered by liquid propane or gasoline which makes them usable in all kinds of situations. Although most portable generators are ideal for applications on the go, the generators are also perfect for home use during power outages provided a manual transfer switch is added. A manual transfer switch enables the output of a portable generator to be channeled directly to a home’s electrical system. This feature alone makes portable generators highly versatile for home as well as outdoor and commercial/job applications.
Considering the fact that power interruptions are normal during bad weather and the power grid doesn’t serve each and every location, the importance of investing in a portable generator can’t be overlooked. Let’s take a step back and discuss the portability aspect of generators in-depth.
What is a portable generator?
Portable generators are generators which have been made with portability in mind. Although the generators may have other distinct features i.e., they may be silent, however, portability stands out as one of the main features. As a result, the generators are usually small in size. Most top selling portable generators are sizable which simply means they can fit just about anywhere. Generally speaking, the generators tend to be smaller in size/dimensions than your typical standby generator.
Portable generators are also lighter than typical generators. Ideally, you are supposed to be able to pick up a portable generator easily with your hands with little to no help. If the generator is a bit heavy, it should have additional features such as wheels. The shape of a generator also dictates portability. This explains why most portable generators tend to be symmetrical in shape.
The size, weight, and symmetry shouldn’t, however, be the most important features. Portable generators need to be safe too. They also need to be quiet. The generators should also have an ideal output which depends on the application/s you have in mind. The generator you choose should also have an ideal fuel capacity to increase its usability. Features aside, the generator you choose needs to be affordable which is why our interest here is on the best portable generator for the money. Let’s, however, look at the best applications for portable generators before reviewing the most affordable portable generators in the market today.
Why do you need a portable generator? What are the most popular portable generator applications?
We’ve all wished we had electricity during a blackout or when power wasn’t available because we were in a remote area. The importance of having constant access to electricity can’t be overlooked. However, the power grid can’t be relied upon 100% even in the most developed countries in the world. There are always eventualities that are bound to disconnect you from the power grid. When this happens, you’ll need backup power or be forced to face the consequences of living without electricity.
Emergency power outages may not be common in developed countries, however, they have dire consequences. You need a generator to provide you with electricity in case of a power outage. You may also need a generator to power tools/appliances/equipment when you don’t have access to the power grid. Below are the most common reasons for buying a portable generator.
1. Household backup power
Every household needs a portable generator. In case of a power outage caused by bad weather i.e. hurricanes, tornados, floods or calamities like earthquakes which almost always cause massive power outages, you need to have backup power before you get connected back to the power grid. In such an instance, a portable generator will help you and your family power essential appliances such as refrigerators, cookers, air conditioners, etc. which are vital for everyday living. A portable generator also allows you to have lighting. You never know when you might have to face a power outage. It might even be caused by a faulty transformer, an accident in the neighborhood, etc. In such instances, you’ll have household backup power to get on with life until normalcy resumes.
2. Small business power backup
Portable generators are also ideal for small businesses that heavily rely on power. Although all businesses rely on electricity in one way of the other, businesses whose operations will be affected immensely because of power blackouts that last a few minutes can’t afford to operate without a generator. For instance, internet based businesses need electricity throughout to power computers and internet devices. Such businesses are totally crippled by power blackouts that last for a few minutes to hours, let alone days. If you run a small internet based business, you need a portable generator.
The same applies to small businesses like restaurants, butcher shops as well as other kinds of businesses which rely heavily on refrigeration. You should have power for refrigeration throughout if you run such businesses otherwise you stand to suffer huge losses in case of a power blackout. Portable generators are perfect for small business powering applications because they are affordable and flexible. The generators are also ideal for meeting all major powering needs that small businesses have.
Portable generators are also perfect for generating electricity for recreational activities such as camping. Although most people who love camping want to get away from typical day-to-day experiences, that doesn’t mean you should use your coffee make or have some lighting while camping. A portable generator also comes in handy when you need to carry appliances such as a small fridge as well as electronics like computers, Smartphones, etc.
A generator also comes in handy in hunting applications. Typical hunting cabins which are found deep in the woods don’t have electricity. A portable generator will come in handy when you want to power your portable lights, electric fans, microwaves, charge your electronics, power electronic bug zappers, etc. Camping and hunting aside, you can also use your portable generator in your backyard or at the local park when you have recreational occasions i.e. parties. In such instances, having electricity might not be a must. However, it will definitely make the entire recreational activity more enjoyable and comfortable.
4. Worksite applications
You may also need a portable generator if your job involves working in worksites with unreliable or no power. Professionals like contractors need portable power sources to operate their tools in case there is no power on site. The same applies to painters who use equipment such as spray gun systems or roofers who use nail guns. A backup generator can also come in handy when providing power for lighting dark interiors. Considering construction sites usually have power outages or no power at all, a backup generator that is portable will always come in handy.
In a nutshell, we almost always need backup power, and there’s no better way of making sure you have electricity throughout other than to buy a portable generator. The generators are usually affordable and convenient to carry around making them the perfect solution for almost all backup power needs you can think off.
Stationary generators vs. portable generators: Benefits of a portable generator over a stationary generator
Care to know why you should choose a portable generator over a stationary or standby generator? If yes, here’s what you need to know.
- More versatile: Portable generators are more versatile because of their portable nature. Since portable generators can be moved around easily, they serve more applications than stationary or standby generators. If you’re looking for a generator that can power your house in case of a blackout as well as power your camping site and work tools, look no further.
- Cheaper: Portable generators are also cheaper than standby generators. Since portable generators are built with typical applications in mind as opposed to specialized once like standby generators, they cost less. Furthermore, portable generators don’t need specialized installations which are known to increase the overall cost of owning standby generators.
- Less noise: Most portable generators are advanced and feature noise dampening technology. In fact, most portable generators are inverter generators which are known to be the quietest generators on the market today. If you hate generator noise, look no further.
- Safer/better electricity: Portable generators also produce higher quality electricity which is safe for sensitive electronics. As mentioned above, most portable generators are inverter generators which are known to generate the highest quality electricity. The generators also tend to feature high-tech safety features such as low oil warning which prevent typical generator problems like overheating.
Features to look out for in a generator: What portable generator features count?
When choosing a portable generator, portable features should be your #1 concern. You must, however, look at other features that boost functionality. There is absolutely no reasons for having a generator you can move around easily if the generator doesn’t have some notable generator features present in the most modern generators today. With that said, here are the features you should look out for;
- Automatic start: Although there are some great affordable portable generators with a recoil or manual start, an automatic start feature goes a long way today in terms of convenience i.e. you can start the generator easily by simply pushing a button as opposed to a manual start.
- Alternative fuel capacity: Although most portable generators run on gasoline, the best can run on other fuels too i.e. propane/natural gas. A generator that can run on gasoline and something else gives you more options. Although gasoline is readily available everywhere, it’s always good to have an alternative.
- Wheels and/or carrying handles: This should go without saying. Portable generators must come equipped with carrying handles. If the generator is a bit heavy (over 50 kg), a set of wheels is important for easier movement.
- Fuel gauge: It’s also important that you choose a generator with a fuel gauge so that you can know when you need to refuel. Portable generators are usually bought to cater for emergency power needs. A fuel gauge will let you know how much fuel you have at a glance allowing you to plan better/avoid surprise fuel outages when you need the generator.
- Low-oil shutdown: This feature should be standard on portable as well as stationary/standby generators. However, it is possible to buy a generator that lacks this important safety feature. For this reasons, you need to check carefully and ensure the generator you buy has this feature.
- Inverter technology: As mentioned above, the best types of portable generators are inverter generators because they produce the cleanest/safest electricity ideal for powering the most sensitive electronics. Inverter technology also makes generators less noisy.
- Ports/outlets: The portable generator you choose should also have multiple ports/outlets that allow you to power different devices/electronics.
Although many other generator features come in handy, all or most of the above features should be present in the portable generator you are planning to buy. Also, don’t forget about features like a transfer switch. A transfer switch is a special switch that links generators to the circuit panel (of a home) in one cable. The switch simply allows generators to be safely connected to a home’s circuit panel. This feature is highly recommended when using generators with 5000 + watt generators since such generators have enough electricity to power basic appliances and lighting in a typical home.
Generator safety tips to consider when using portable generators
Knowing the features to look for in the best most affordable portable generators is not enough. You need to be aware of portable generator safety tips to ensure you use your generator risk-free. The most important safety tips to consider revolve around; generator operation, ventilation, fire prevention as well as shock hazards. Let’s get right into it;
a. Generator operation safety tips
Before you buy any generator, you need to be aware of the standard operating safety tips. Portable generators present unique general operation risks because they are small and silent. As a result, many people are tempted to use them in confined spaces. Their quiet nature may also cause users to forget about them. Here’s what you need to know to ensure you don’t expose yourself and others to general generator operation risks.
- First and foremost, you must place your generator away from the reach of children.
- You should also run your generator in an area with proper ventilation. If you must run a portable generator indoors, make sure there is adequate ventilation.
- Your generator should also be placed in an area with ample space i.e. at least 5-feet clearance on every side.
- Also, although you can use your portable generator almost anywhere at any time, you must take measures to protect your generator from environmental elements that can cause shorting and rusting i.e. excess humidity over time.
- You should also operate your generator on level surfaces only free of dirt, dust, moisture as well as corrosive vapors.
- It’s also important to inspect your generator regularly and conduct service as recommended. Regular inspection and servicing ensures you identify potential problems and address them in time.
b. Generator ventilation safety tips
- Generators produce a poisonous gas (carbon monoxide) which is hard to see or smell. As a result, ensure you place your generator in an open area or a well-ventilated area indoors. You should never run your portable generator in enclosed areas i.e. inside a garage.
- If you are planning on placing your generator indoors, open all windows and doors. You can also use a fan to ensure there is adequate ventilation.
- You should also consider investing in a carbon monoxide alarm if you are buying a portable generator solely for indoor use/applications.
c. Generator fire prevention safety tips
- Since generators use flammable fuel, you must purpose to handle your generator and fuel with care. Any excess fuel must be stored away from the reach of children.
- Also, never overfill your fuel tank as this increases explosion risks if the fuel expands for any reason i.e. harsh environmental conditions such as excessive temperature. Overfilling the generator’s fuel tank also increases the chances of an overflow and fire if the fuel gets into contact with a hot engine.
- You should also refuel your generator when it is off and cool to avoid fire risks.
- Your generator must also be placed far away from an open fire, sparks or pilot light to ensure fuel vapors don’t cause a fire.
- This should go without saying; don’t smoke near your generator.
- You should also place the generator far away from you to avoid burns. Portable generators usually get very hot with time. It is, therefore, important to ensure your generator doesn’t come into contact with your skin during operation.
d. Generator shock hazards
Generators usually introduce shock/electrocution risks because they produce electricity. To avoid shock/electrocution, consider the safety tips below;
- Avoid connecting your portable generator directly to your home’s wiring if you don’t have a power transfer switch to avoid back-feeds which can cause shock/electrocution. You should also avoid connecting your generator directly to a regular household outlet for the same reason.
- Also, power off the generator when the generator is not in use i.e. when there’s no electric load.
- Never overload your generator. This highlights the importance of calculating your power needs first before you buy an ideal portable generator. Overloading your generator can cause serious damage to the generator as well as the appliances/electronics you are powering. Ideally, portable generators should be used for powering essential appliances/equipment only to avoid putting unnecessary pressure on the generator.
- Use the right power cords: You should also use the power cords supplied or recommended by the generator manufacturer. Following this safety tip is important for avoiding overloads which are bound to cause fires as well as equipment/appliance damage.
- You should also avoid using extension cords which have worn shielding or exposed wires to avoid electrocution and fires.
- Never operate the generator in wet conditions i.e. outdoors when it is raining or snowing.
- You should also ensure your generator is properly grounded to avoid electrocution. It’s also advisable to adhere to the applicable regulations regarding grounding (if any).
In summary, never take shortcuts when it comes to generator safety. Although the above tips are bound to protect you from the most common generator risks, it’s worth noting that the above information is supplemental and not meant to substitute information present in generator owner manuals.
Portable generator FAQs
Before you select the best portable generator for the money, it’s also important to know the questions most portable generator owners ask. This information is important because it ensures you know everything there is to know about a portable generator before you actually own one. Below are the most popular portable generator FAQs.
- What’s the difference between rated and maximum watts: Ratted watts refer to the power a generator is capable of producing continuously. The maximum wattage refers to the power a generator is capable of producing for short time periods. As a result, the rated wattage is a better power metric to consider since it highlights the wattage a generator is capable of producing continuously without compromising safety.
- Are portable generators usable during power outages? Yes. They are. Many potential portable generator buyers wonder if portable generators are powerful enough to provide alternative power during power outages. Portable generators have different power production capacities that are adequate for all kinds of power applications at home. Furthermore, the generators can be safely connected to home circuitry using power transfer switches. Although portable generators tend to be ideal for typical power needs, the generators are capable of powering all basic appliances/electronics at home as well as lighting. They can also be linked to identical generators to double capacity if they have parallel operation capabilities.
- What is back-feed: Back-feed refers to the process where a generator is connected to an electrical outlet and as a result, feeds back power to utility lines. A back feed introduces electrocution risks to utility employees who may be working to restore power in cases of an outage. A back-feed can also damage household appliances and electronics.
- Must portable generators be grounded? Yes. All generators must be grounded for safety i.e. to reduce electrocution risks. It’s also crucial to check any grounding regulations that may be applicable in your area.
- Can I run my portable generator in an enclosed area? No. Although portable generators are silent and small making them conducive for operation indoors, they should never be operated in enclosed areas. All generators must be placed in areas with proper ventilation since they produce carbon monoxide which is a very harmful gas.
- When should I service my generator? Since there are very many different portable generator models available today, it’s advisable to stick to your manufacturer’s guidelines. You should, however, check your generator regularly.
5 Best portable generators for the money
Now that you understand the most important information about portable generators from why you should buy one to what you need to do to reduce safety risks, it’s time to explore the best portable generators for the money.
There are very many portable generators on sale today. However, very few offer unmatched value for your money i.e. are cheap/affordable but great in every aspect including portability. With portability and affordability in mind as well as other factors such as customer reviews and additional features, below are the best/most affordable generators in the market today.
1. DuroStar DS40005, gas powered portable
The DuroStar DS40005 stands out for being reasonably priced at under $300 but offers superior output 3300 running watts, 4000 starting watts. This portable generator also stands out for being sizable and high-tech. Very few portable generators with similar features as the DuroStar DS40005 cost less than $500. The generator also stands out in regards to runtime and safety. Good portable generators don’t come this cheap.
- Weight: The DuroStar DS40005 weighs 92.4 pounds only.
- Dimensions: Measures 17.5 by 18 by 23 inches
- Handles/wheels: The DuroStar DS40005 has side handles. The generator can be carried comfortably from one place to another by two people. However, the generator has no wheels.
Other notable features/specs
- Engine: Equipped with a 7 HP air-cooled OHV engine with low-oil shutoff.
- Power: 3300 running watts, 4000 starting watts.
- Noise reducing features: Has a 4-Point isolated motor mounts which offer unmatched quiet operation. Produces Decibel 69 dBA noise only.
- Instrumentation/outlets: Has a start switch, oil warning light, circuit breaker, volt meter, fuel tank read gauge and power outlets.
- Runtime: The DuroStar DS40005 can run continuously for 8 hours on full tank of gas (4 gallons).
- Safety features: EPA approved, built-in spark arrestor and automatic low-oil shutdown.
- Warranty: Comes with a 1-year limited warranty.
The DuroStar DS40005 is perfect for multipurpose applications from home back-up power applications to camping, sporting events and job site applications.
DuroStar DS40005 reviews: What are customers saying?
- Reasonably priced: The DuroStar DS40005 is highly rated online. Many customers love the fact that the generator is reasonably priced but highly functional. Generators with similar features and capabilities cost way more.
- Quiet and safe: Many customers have also praised the generator for being quiet (produces just 69 dBA) which is very quiet for a portable generator of its capacity. Many people also love the fact that the generator has a spark arrestor and automatic low-oil shutdown which reduces common generator risks.
- High-tech features: Many customers also appreciate the fact that the DuroStar DS40005 has some high-tech features i.e. built-in spark arrestor, air-cooled engine etc. which are usually present in more expensive portable generators
Some people aren’t happy with the fact that the generator is a bit heavy yet it doesn’t have wheels. Some complaints have also been expressed about the 1-year limited warranty.
Although the DuroStar DS40005 has some cons, they can be easily overlooked given the price of the generator. For instance, there are no reviews indicating that the generator breaks down easily hence there’s no need for a longer warranty. Furthermore, the generator can be carried easily by one or two people so there’s no pressing need for wheels. You definitely get more than you pay for when you buy the DuroStar DS40005. It’s however up to you to make the final decision.
2. Honda EU2000I 2000 Watt Inverter Generator
The Honda EU2000I can easily qualify as the best portable generator in the market given its unmatched portability features i.e. the generator weighs just 46 pounds and measures just 21 by 12 by 9. The generator is also unmatched in terms noise level i.e. produces just 59 dBA and has a capacity to be quieter (53 dBA) when operating at 25% load. The Honda EU2000I also has an impressive runtime of 8.1 hours at 25% load. The Honda EU2000I is perfect for anyone looking for the smallest, quietest portable generator on sale today. The generator is highly rated online. The generator price is also reasonable given its superior features.
- Weight: The Honda EU2000I weighs just 46 pounds which is light enough for one person to carry around.
- Dimensions: Measures just 21 by 12 by 9 inches.
- Wheels/handles: The generator features a handle at the top which offers a safe and comfortable grip. No wheels (not necessary).
Other notable features/specs
- Output: Rated 1600 watts, Maximum output is 2000 watts.
- Noise level: 59 dBA normally, 53dBA at 25% load. Super-quiet.
- Runtime: 8.1 Hours on a full tank of gas while operating normally (25% load)
- Safety: Has inverter technology which allows the production of safe and clean power for the most sensitive electronics.
Honda EU2000I reviews: What are customers saying?
- Unmatched portability: There are countless positive Honda EU2000I customer reviews online touching on portability. Almost everyone who has bought the Honda EU2000I agrees the generator is unmatched in regards to portability. The weight and compact size make it possible for the generator to be stored anywhere as well as carried around easily even by children.
- Very quiet: Most people who have bought the Honda EU2000I have also attested to its amazingly low noise levels. At 53 dBA, you can hardly hear the generator running.
- Safe: The Honda EU2000I has also been praised for its safety i.e. features a Honda oil alert as well as inverter technology which results in the production of safe power consistently. The generator also has circuit protection which prevents overloading.
Some customer reviews have expressed concerns about the generators price. At almost $1000, the Honda EU2000I is a bit costly to some people. Some people also feel the generators recoil starting system is a bit dated.
If portability is your #1 concern and you also want a generator that is silent and you also want value for money, the Honda EU2000I is your best bet. The Honda EU2000I cost is justified given its unmatched portability, noise level, and safety features. Besides, the generator is highly rated online. Feel free to check Honda EU2000I online reviews.
3. Champion Power Equipment 73536i
This is another great portable inverter generator that will offer you unmatched value for your money. The generator costs under $500 but boasts of having features that are unmatched by most popular portable generators on sale today. For instance, the generator is very quiet (produces just 53 dBA). The generator is also amazingly lightweight (weighs just 48 pounds). The Champion Power Equipment 73536i also has a uniquely built-in carrying handle that is highly functional and attractive. Furthermore, the Champion Power Equipment 73536i is economical and safe. What more would you ask for in a portable generator?
- Weight: 48 pounds only.
- Dimensions: Measures 16 by 13 by 19 inches.
- Wheels/handle: Has a carrying handle.
- Design: Features a space-saving stackable design
Other notable features/specs
- Engine: 80 cc single-cylinder OHV engine.
- Output: 1700 running watts, 2000 starting watts.
- Runtime/fuel capacity: Runs for 9.5 hours non-stop on a full tank of gas (1 gallon) at 25% load.
- Warranty: 2-year limited warranty.
Champion Power Equipment 73536i reviews: What are customers saying?
- Compact, lightweight and quiet: Many Champion 73536i generator owners love the way the generator combines portability and quiet operation. At just 48 pounds and measuring 16 by 13 by 19 inches, the Champion 73536i can fit anywhere and be carried by anyone. The 53 dBA noise level is also amazingly low for a generator that cheap according to many reviews.
- Safe operation: The Champion 73536i has also been praised for its safety features i.e. automatic low-oil shut-off and CARB compliance.
- Multipurpose: Many people also love how the generator works perfectly for multiple light powering applications indoors and outdoors. The generator is ideal for powering typical appliances/electronics as well as lighting.
- Parallel Ready: There are also many positive reviews praising the generators ability to connect to another identical generator to double the load. If 2000 watts isn’t enough, you can always connect the generator to another identical generator.
- Unmatched runtime: The Champion 73536i is also among the few generators that can run for 9.5 hours non-stop on a 1-gallon tank of gas. The Champion 73536i features a unique fuel efficient mode i.e. a smart economy mode which maximizes fuel consumption automatically.
There are a few negative reviews that touch on the fact that the generator isn’t ideal for heavy duty power needs given its 2000 watt output.
Given the fact that you can always connect your Champion 73536i to another identical generator to boost power output, this generator comes highly recommended as one if the best and most affordable portable generators available today. The output may be low. However, the generator can handle all typical backup/emergency power needs.
4. Champion Power Equipment 46539
If you’re looking for more power and portability, the Champion Power Equipment 46539 comes highly recommendable. With a 3500 watt output, the Champion Power Equipment 46539 has way more power than the Champion Power Equipment 73536i. The Champion Power Equipment 46539 also has a set of wheels that boost portability. The Champion Power Equipment 46539 is, however, heavier and bulkier than the 73536i. Both generators are however the same price. If you don’t mind some extra power and bulkiness, the Champion Power Equipment 46539 comes highly recommended.
- Weight: 126 pounds
- Dimensions: Measures 20.7 by 12.1 by 28.5 inches
- Wheels/handles: Comes with wheels, front feet as well as a handle.
Other notable features/specs
- Engine: Has a 196 cc 4-stroke OHV engine with an output of 3500 running watts, 4000 starting watts.
- Runtime: 12 hours non-stop on one tank of gas at 50% load.
- Starting: Electronic remote start.
- Safety: CARB compliant. Also has a volt guard feature which protects appliances/electronics from power surges.
- Warranty: 2-year limited warranty. Also comes with lifetime technical support 100% free.
Champion Power Equipment 46539 reviews: What are customers saying?
- Powerful and portable: The Champion Power Equipment 46539 has been praised for being very powerful (3500 running watts) and portable at the same time. Generators with similar output aren’t as portable. The Champion Power Equipment 46539 is equipped with wheels as well as a handle that make it easy to move the generator around.
- Reasonably priced: The Champion Power Equipment 46539 costs the same as the Champion 73536i but produces more power. This factor has been adversely mentioned in customer reviews. Many people love the fact that you get more power at the same price without compromising portability
- Great warranty: The Champion Power Equipment 46539 generator comes with a 2-year limited warranty as well as 100% free lifetime technical support. Such a warranty is unheard off with generators that cost as much as the Champion Power Equipment 46539.
Although the Champion Power Equipment 46539 generator has overwhelmingly positive customer reviews, some customer feel the generator is a bit too heavy and bulky at 126 pounds and 20.7 by 12.1 by 28.5 inches in dimensions.
If you don’t care too much about some extra weight and size for unmatched power, the Champion Power Equipment 46539 generator comes highly recommended. The generator is portable and perfectly priced. The generator also comes with an unmatched warranty.
5. The WEN 56200i
The WEN 56200i makes it to this list for its great pricing i.e. costs almost the same as the Champion Power Equipment 46539 and the Champion Power Equipment 73536i but doesn’t compromise on portability. The WEN 56200i is just 48 pounds and measures 18 by 11 by 18 inches only. The generator also has a very comfortable carrying handle. Portability aside, the WEN 56200i also produces very clean energy and works with unmatched silence i.e. has a noise level of just 51 dBA. Furthermore, the generator is ideal for typical powering applications on the go.
- Weight: 48 pounds
- Dimensions: 18 by 11 by 18 inches only
- Wheels/handles: No wheels but has an extremely comfortable carrying handle.
- Design: Has a light-weight design
Other notable features/specs
- Engine: 79.7 cc, 4-stroke OHV engine.
- Output: 1600 watts running, 2000 watts starting
- Ports: Has a USB port, parallel connection ports, 1-12volt DC receptacle and 2-three-prong 120-volt receptacles.
- Runtime: 6 hours non-stop on one tank of gas (1 gallon). Has an eco-mode for better energy efficiency.
- Noise level: 51 dBA.
- Safety features: low-oil shutdown, overload protection, and low-fuel automatic shutdown.
- Warranty: 2-year warranty.
The WEN 56200i reviews: What are customers saying?
- Great pricing: The price of the WEN 56200i is great according to many reviews. At less than $500, the WEN 56200i is within reach of many people who would want a great portable generator for multiple applications.
- Highly portable: The WEN 56200i also scores highly as one of the most (if not the most) portable generators on sale today. The WEN 56200i weighs 48 pounds and measures 18 by 11 by 18 inches only. This is a perfect size and weight according to many.
- Super-silent: Many people also love the fact that the generator is quieter than an air conditioner. The WEN 56200i has a 51 dBA noise level which is unmatched by most silent generators on sale today.
- Safe: Many people also love the fact that the WEN 56200i minimizes harmonic distortion to less than 1.2% off. The generator, therefore, produces the highest quality and safest electricity ideal for powering the most sensitive electronics. The generator is also CARB compliant and has other notable safety features i.e. overload protection.
Most WEN 56200i owners are happy with the generator overall. There are however a few points of concern. For instance, some WEN 56200i owners feel the pull start is a bit dated for the generator. Some people also wish the generator had more power.
The WEN 56200i is ideal for typical powering applications at home and on the go. If you have more power needs, this generator might not be ideal for you. The generator, however, has parallel operation capabilities. The price is right, the generator size and weight is also right. The WEN 56200i clearly deserves a spot in this list of best portable generators for the money.
Do you want to see more information on Generators? Click on words below that match your search criteria: